Skip Navigation LinksHome > Financial Aid > Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate Financial Aid

Graduate student aid describes numerous types of financial aid available to graduate students. Graduate students often have access to fellowships and scholarships, and there are also grants, work-study programs and student loans that can help round out graduate financial aid packages.

  • Borrow up to your total cost of education.
  • Online application takes just minutes.

A fellowship is a highly competitive, achievement based form of financial aid that is given out to students to help pay for tuition and living expenses. Fellowships are awarded to students through private institutions, schools and the federal government. Graduate school scholarships work similarly. Graduate school grants are provided through the government and individual schools. Lastly, students can apply for work-study, which provides jobs to students to help pay for school.

Obtaining a student loan for graduate education is the same as the undergraduate process. All students must fill out the FAFSA web-form in order to be eligible for any federal student loans or grants. Loan limits for graduate students are higher than those for undergraduates which help graduate students better afford the high price tag of graduate school. Graduate students can receive a Stafford Loan, Perkins Loan or a PLUS loan for graduate and professional students.

If you need graduate financial aid beyond federal student loans, you may want to consider graduate private loans. Private loans are not guaranteed or subsidized by the federal government and are offered by private lenders. A Think Student Loan can be used to pay for graduate school expenses, and you can apply online or over the phone in about 15 minutes.

* Think Financial refers applications to Simple Tuition, a leading student loan comparison site, and is paid a fee for this referral.